Young mother issues warning

Disposal of the needles should be into a sharps container and NOT thrown into your household garbage.

Tiana Spencer

Tiana Spencer

On Wednesday, April 30, a message came across Princeton Facebook pages from a young mother warning parents to keep their children away from the park located in the Allison Flats area.

Tiana Spencer was walking home, along the path just outside of the park when she felt something pierce her foot.

When she stopped and lifted her foot she realized that there was a hypodermic needle in her shoe that had gone through piercing her flesh.

The wise young woman quickly enlisted the help of a neighbour to drive her to the hospital.

Spencer says she was given, “preventative medications, to take for five days” and that she will have to have future testing for Hepatitis and HIV.

Angry and determined, Spencer returned home and posted on Facebook, explaining what had happened to her and warning parents to keep their kids away from the park.

Spencer said she also reported the incident to the Town of Princeton and to the RCMP.

Wanting to get her message out to parents, Spencer contacted the Spotlight and we met with her at the park.

Spencer pointed out the spot where stepped  on the hypodermic needle. Just inside the fencing  is the Lions Park located in the Allison Flats area. Spencer adds that it is also a bus stop for the children attending school.

Spencer is very concerned, “I am doing this  (sharing her story) just so all parents will know there is a risk,” she said, I encourage people to keep watch over the areas their kids are playing at.”

The Town of Princeton owns the parks throughout the community. Although reports like this are not a common occurrence in Princeton, the Town does want the community to know that should a hypodermic needle be found in any of the parks, “by all means, contact the Town of Princeton with the exact location so that they can dispose of it properly.”

Hypodermic needles can carry germs and pose health risks to others, including the risk of hepatitis and HIV.

Disposal of the needles should be into a sharps container and NOT thrown into your household garbage.