history

The Hilborn home on Logie Road in Summerland was built by the Nelson brothers, who also built the buildings at the Summerland Research Station. (Contributed)

Early Summerland researcher pioneered greenhouse use

Joseph Hilborn and his brother William advoacated greenhouse work in the early 1900s

  • Jan 13, 2021

 

One of the artillery shells remaining in the Stevenson family collection. The one that is missing has distinctive German script stamped on the base and is believed to have been fired from a massive naval or siege gun. (Contributed)

Family seeks historical artillery shell casing missing from late father’s Shuswap home

The shell was once fired out of an uncommonly large German artillery gun during the First World War

 

The Vernon Towne Cinema is undergoing some seating upgrades during a pandemic related business hiatus, and residents are invited to pick up a free seat from the 1940s Monday, Dec. 7, 2020. (Brendan Shykora - Morning Star)

Upgrades to Vernon Towne Cinema prompt giveaway of chairs from the 1940s

The Towne is using pandemic down-time to upgrade seating, and locals can come claim a piece of Vernon history

 

Dentice di Frasso, a member of Italian nobility, once owned land in Summerland. (Contributed)

Italian nobility family once lived in Summerland

Dentice di Frasso and his family owned land in the Prairie Valley area

  • Nov 28, 2020
Dentice di Frasso, a member of Italian nobility, once owned land in Summerland. (Contributed)
Originally the Summerland Reservoir was a glacial lake formed from surrounding groundwater. Former names have included Barclay Lake and Balcomo Lake. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Summerland’s reservoir was once a glacial lake

Water supply has had many names over the years.

Originally the Summerland Reservoir was a glacial lake formed from surrounding groundwater. Former names have included Barclay Lake and Balcomo Lake. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
In 1907, Summerland’s first council consisted of five people, all elected by acclamation. In the top row from left are reeve J.M. Robinson, R.H. Agur and J.R. Brown. In the bottom row are J. C. Ritchie at left and C.J. Thomson. 
(Photos courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland’s first council was elected by acclamation

Reeve and four councillors were elected in December, 1906

In 1907, Summerland’s first council consisted of five people, all elected by acclamation. In the top row from left are reeve J.M. Robinson, R.H. Agur and J.R. Brown. In the bottom row are J. C. Ritchie at left and C.J. Thomson. 
(Photos courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
To guarantee water supply in 1933, Summerland’s Dominion Research Station (now Summerland Research and Development Centre) installed its own Okanagan Lake pumping station. Today, all communities on Okanagan Lake use lake water to supplement their water systems, except the District of Summerland. (Photo courtesy Summerland Museum)

Dominion Research Station once drew water from Okanagan Lake

In 1930s, facility in Summerland used lake water to have a guaranteed supply

To guarantee water supply in 1933, Summerland’s Dominion Research Station (now Summerland Research and Development Centre) installed its own Okanagan Lake pumping station. Today, all communities on Okanagan Lake use lake water to supplement their water systems, except the District of Summerland. (Photo courtesy Summerland Museum)
The early years of Rosedale Avenue dating back to 1911. Rosedale Avenue in Summerland has gone through many changes since this picture was taken in the early 1900s. In the background is St. Stephen Anglican Church. To the left, is the newly built home of Judge Kelley. This home still exists. It is the central portion of the Providence Funeral Home. Judge Kelley named the street Rosedale Avenue. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Rosedale Avenue in Summerland dates to 1910

Some early buildings in the area still remain

  • Oct 20, 2020
The early years of Rosedale Avenue dating back to 1911. Rosedale Avenue in Summerland has gone through many changes since this picture was taken in the early 1900s. In the background is St. Stephen Anglican Church. To the left, is the newly built home of Judge Kelley. This home still exists. It is the central portion of the Providence Funeral Home. Judge Kelley named the street Rosedale Avenue. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The community of Summerland was affected by a diphtheria outbreak in 1911. (Summerland Museum image)

Diphtheria outbreak affected Summerland in 1911

Contagious bacterial infection had 10 per cent fatality rate

The community of Summerland was affected by a diphtheria outbreak in 1911. (Summerland Museum image)
This photograph shows Rutherford Avenue with Prairie Valley Road in the distance. R.H. Agur, future reeve (mayor) of Summerland, inspects the new orchards. The home to the right is Sir Edmund Osler’s orchard home. Osler was the national president of the Dominion Bank (later TD bank). (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)

Prominent Canadians once owned orchards in Summerland

Area around Rutherford Avenue included an orchard owned by Sir Edmund Osler

This photograph shows Rutherford Avenue with Prairie Valley Road in the distance. R.H. Agur, future reeve (mayor) of Summerland, inspects the new orchards. The home to the right is Sir Edmund Osler’s orchard home. Osler was the national president of the Dominion Bank (later TD bank). (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum.)
Amanda Hope was 14 when she wrote her note in a bottle. It was 31 years before anyone read it. (Contributed)

Okanagan woman shocked by return of letter in a bottle, after 31 years

‘I honestly didn’t think it would get past the beaver pond.’

Amanda Hope was 14 when she wrote her note in a bottle. It was 31 years before anyone read it. (Contributed)
You might have the entire museum to yourself and your group this fall with small bookings in order to adhere to public health guidelines. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives)

Fewer people, but more visits added to North Okanagan museum

‘Often, you may have the entire museum to yourself and your group, which could be very cool.’

You might have the entire museum to yourself and your group this fall with small bookings in order to adhere to public health guidelines. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives)
Members of the Okanagan Historical Society have asked Summerland council for help in preserving an old cabin. One suggestion has been to dismantle the cabin and have it relocated to another site. (John Arendt - Summerland Review)

Okanagan Historical Society requests action from Summerland

Three heritage projects have been presented to municipality

Members of the Okanagan Historical Society have asked Summerland council for help in preserving an old cabin. One suggestion has been to dismantle the cabin and have it relocated to another site. (John Arendt - Summerland Review)
Columbia Park Elementary in under renovations. (Liam Harrap/Revelstoke Review)

40-year-old treasure map unearthed in Revelstoke school during renovations

‘I hope there won’t be too many holes to fill before school starts’ says Columbia Park principal

Columbia Park Elementary in under renovations. (Liam Harrap/Revelstoke Review)
The Okanagan Historical Society’s 84th annual report includes several items about Summerland’s history. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland’s history featured in Okanagan Historical Society’s annual report

Three local historians have contributed articles to 2020 publication

The Okanagan Historical Society’s 84th annual report includes several items about Summerland’s history. (Photograph courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
In 1905, Summerland was the first community in the Okanagan Valley to generate its own electrical power. The small square building in the centre of this picture was Summerland’s Electric Light Plant. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland had first electrical system in Okanagan Valley

Community’s electrical utility was created in 1905

In 1905, Summerland was the first community in the Okanagan Valley to generate its own electrical power. The small square building in the centre of this picture was Summerland’s Electric Light Plant. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Summerland’s first wedding took place June 1, 1904, when Harry Dunsdon married Annie Stevens. The wedding took place at St. Peter’s Anglican Church on Giants Head Road. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

First wedding in Summerland was held in 1904

Harry Dunsdon and Annie Stevens were both from Middlesex, England

Summerland’s first wedding took place June 1, 1904, when Harry Dunsdon married Annie Stevens. The wedding took place at St. Peter’s Anglican Church on Giants Head Road. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
In June 1978, crews were in Summerland to film a movie. The movie filming included a parade along Main Street. Around 2,000 Summerland residents were part of the parade. This included a marching band, led by John Tamblyn. 
(Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Movie was filmed in Summerland in 1978

Who’ll Save Our Children was aired on CBS Dec. 16, 1978

  • Aug 18, 2020
In June 1978, crews were in Summerland to film a movie. The movie filming included a parade along Main Street. Around 2,000 Summerland residents were part of the parade. This included a marching band, led by John Tamblyn. 
(Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The Darke Lake area is a popular hunting area. In 1910, hunters from Summerland and Peachland built three cabins. Their names were Ken Hogg, Robert Hogg and Hamilton Lang. Because of their names, the area became know as the Piggeries. One of these hunting cabins still exists. (Photo courtesy of Al Tinka)

Hunting cabins were built west of Summerland

Area around Darke Lake was once known as the Piggeries

The Darke Lake area is a popular hunting area. In 1910, hunters from Summerland and Peachland built three cabins. Their names were Ken Hogg, Robert Hogg and Hamilton Lang. Because of their names, the area became know as the Piggeries. One of these hunting cabins still exists. (Photo courtesy of Al Tinka)
The S.S. Okanagan’s maiden voyage was on April 27 1907. The ship had a capacity of 250 passengers. These ships not only transported people. They were also used for freight and especially important to tow train cars loaded with Okanagan fruit destined for Calgary and other eastern destinations.(Photo courtesy of the Okanagan Archive Trust Society)

Sternwheelers once plied Okanagan Lake

Vessels once transported passengers and goods along the Okanagan Valley

The S.S. Okanagan’s maiden voyage was on April 27 1907. The ship had a capacity of 250 passengers. These ships not only transported people. They were also used for freight and especially important to tow train cars loaded with Okanagan fruit destined for Calgary and other eastern destinations.(Photo courtesy of the Okanagan Archive Trust Society)