West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a blaze caused by an unattended candle on Sunday, Dec.8. (Metro Creative photo)

West Kelowna house fire demonstrates danger posed by candles

West Kelowna Fire Rescue says an unattended candle caused the Sunday afternoon fire.

A small structure fire in West Kelowna has prompted a warning from the fire department about the dangers of candles and leaving them unattended.

At 12:49 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8, West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a report of smoke coming from a home in the 3000 block of Stone Ridge Drive. Two engines from the fire hall with nine firefighters as well as a safety officer responded to the call and quickly found a small fire on the main floor of the home. The first crew on scene quickly extinguished it.

Read More: Rutland’s annual Christmas light-up brings the community together

Read More: Chris Griffin to headline Cool Ranch Comedy’s last show of the year

None of the home’s occupants were home at the time of the fire and no pets were located either. According to the fire department, an unattended candle caused the fire. Assistant Fire Chief Lionel Bateman stated that damage from the fire itself was minimal but the home suffered considerable smoke damage.

A statement from the fire department recommends people take extra care if they will be lighting their homes with candles over the holiday season and suggests using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell, and feel like real candles.

Read More: Brain injury from domestic abuse a ‘public health crisis,’ says B.C. researcher

Read More: Rockets extend point streak to eight games with shootout win over Blades


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Erris department will launch junior firefighter program with help of grant

This past November, the Community Foundation of the South Okanagan Similkameen (CFSOS)… Continue reading

Summerland Steam earn one win, one loss in hockey action

Junior B team in third place in division

Pioneer families lived in Summerland’s Prairie Valley area

Darke and Dale families played roles in community’s early history

UPDATE: Princeton RCMP make arrest in armed robbery after ‘brief struggle’

Princeton RCMP have arrested a suspect in connection with an armed robbery… Continue reading

Robbery at Princeton Petro Canada Station

Princeton RCMP are investigating an armed robbery at the Petro Canada Station… Continue reading

VIDEO: Canada’s first presumptive case of coronavirus officially confirmed

Both patient and wife arrived on a China Southern Airlines flight after having been to Wuhan

Swapping grape varieties can help winemakers adapt to climate change: UBC study

Report says 56% of wine-grape-growing regions would be lost if global climate warms by 2 C

Alberta premier wants feds to approve Teck mine for benefit of First Nations

Kenney: ‘Surely [reconciliation] means saying yes to economic development for First Nations people’

Quintet jazzes it up with Okanagan-wide talents

Justin Glibbery group brings twist of jazz and pop

Trans-Canada closed east of Golden due to avalanche hazard

The highway is estimated to reopen around 7 p.m.

Penticton Indian Band stands in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en

“We’ve lived in this area for 10,000 years, and our knowledge is being disregarded…” - Chad Eneas.

Former Hells Angels associate in Kelowna court on gun, drug charges

Former Angels associate Dale Habib appears in Kelowna court

NDP suggests easing secondary housing rules for B.C. farmland

Lana Popham proposes guest homes not just for relatives

After four sexual assaults in the same B.C. park, RCMP ask women not to walk alone

Four sexual assaults took place in Glen Park over two months

Most Read