A society dedicated to the preservation of the Granite Creek Town Site and Cemetery has been made official. The Granite Creek Preservation Society is now a registered, non-profit society.
Granite Creek Town Site is valued because it is the oldest town in the area and is the site of the major placer gold rush in 1885. The Granite Creek Cemetery is the final resting place for many of the area’s pioneers.
The Granite Creek Preservation Society was incorporated November 27, 2013 with the following members: George Elliot – chair, Diane Sterne – vice-chair, Jon Bartlett – secretary, Bob Sterne – treasurer and directors; Todd Lester, Terry Malanchuk and Ole Juul.
The purposes of the Granite Creek Preservation Society are:
1. To protect the territorial integrity of the Granite Creek site
2. To provide an understanding of the importance of the historical, archeological and geological aspects of the Granite Creek site
3. To encourage the continued study of the significance of the Granite Creek site
History of the area and information about the society is available at www.granitecreekbc.ca, you are welcomed to become a member of the society and sign the guest book as well.