Passersby help stop spread of Cawston coop fire

Passersby help stop spread of Cawston coop fire

Two people driving by Saturday woke a family and helped stop the spread of a fire in a chicken coop

Quick action of two area residents made all the difference in containing a chicken coop fire in Cawston Saturday morning.

Keremeos Volunteer Fire Chief Jordy Bosscha said Jennifer Montgomery and Terence Hanlon spotted the fire around 8 a.m. while driving along Highway 3.

“We really want to give a special thanks to them. Some people drive by and some people stop and those two stopped and that might have made the difference between that family being homeless or worse,” he said.

Bosscha said the pair spotted the chicken coop fire and pounded on the door of the nearby house where a family was sound asleep inside.

Once they were woken and safe, Hanlon tried to put water on the fire but it was too far gone.

The fire has spread to a nearby tree and was coming closer to the house.

“They were very fortunate it wasn’t August and the wind wasn’t blowing.”

Bosscha said eight firefighters fought the fire.

Several chickens died in the fire. No other injuries were reported.

Bosscha said the cause of the fire was not suspicious, but they are looking at the heat lamp inside the coop as the possible cause.

Bosscha said eight fire fighters was a decent turnout but noted more could have been used.

New recruit training is scheduled for January. Contact the fire hall for more information.