Thunder and lightning is in the Sunday forecast for the Okanagan-Shuswap region. (File photo)

Okanagan Shuswap Weather: Thunder and lightning expected

Two stormy days are expected to be followed by more summer-like conditions.

The weekend will finish with rain clouds over the Okanagan-Shuswap region , but the forecast indicates the sun will return early in the coming week.

For Salmon Arm, Environment Canada forecasts a 60 per cent chance of showers for the morning. A thunderstorm is expected to move through the area beginning at around noon. The thunderstorms are expected to pass through by around midnight leaving a 30 per cent chance of showers for the early morning hours in their wake.

Read More: Salmon Arm stuntwoman doubles for three actors in X-Men movie Dark Phoenix

Read More: Okanagan Valley on watch for severe thunderstorms this weekend

The forecast for the Vernon area calls for a mix of sun and cloud with a 70 per cent chance of a thunderstorm this afternoon followed by a 30 per cent chance of showers this evening.

The strong probability of a thunderstorm also extends south to Kelowna and Penticton. In the South and Central Okanagan, the chance of thunderstorm is expected to dissipate this evening and give way to overnight showers.

Temperatures region-wide are expected to peak in the low 20s.

Read More: Okanagan city chosen for immigration pilot project

Read More: Okanagan man injured in Portugal fall

Monday is expected to bring renewed precipitation with it as well as a chance of further thunder and lightning in the afternoon.

The forecast predicts warm, sunny weather will return to the Okanagan and Shuswap on Tuesday.


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Smoky skies clearing throughout B.C. Interior

Environment Canada expects “widespread” improvement for all affected areas by Sunday

Interior Health reports three additional COVID-19 cases in region

The number of cases in the region since the beginning of the pandemic are now at 492

‘This is a very difficult sentencing’; Judge delays Kiera Bourque manslaughter trial to next week

The courts heard Friday that Bourque “did not intend to cause harm” but that her actions were “reckless”

COVID-19 minimizes Okanagan Regional Library budget increase

Library adapts to pandemic fiscal disruptions

Interior Health continues to tackle COVID-19

IH president Susan Brown says don’t become complacent about pandemic

3 new deaths due to COVID-19 in B.C., 139 new cases

B.C. confirms 40 ‘historic cases,’ as well

Stranger in truck grabs boy walking home from school in Kelowna

The 11-year-old boy escaped the incident, RCMP are investigating

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

The court’s second female justice, died Friday at her home in Washington

Emaciated grizzly found dead on central B.C. coast as low salmon count sparks concern

Grizzly was found on Gwa’sala-‘Nakwaxda’xw territory in Smith Inlet, 60K north of Port Hardy

VIDEO: B.C. to launch mouth-rinse COVID-19 test for kids

Test involves swishing and gargling saline in mouth and no deep-nasal swab

Young Canadians have curtailed vaping during pandemic, survey finds

The survey funded by Heart & Stroke also found the decrease in vaping frequency is most notable in British Columbia and Ontario

B.C. teachers file Labour Relations Board application over COVID-19 classroom concerns

The application comes as B.C.’s second week of the new school year comes to a close

CHARTS: Beyond Metro Vancouver, COVID-19 cases in B.C. haven’t increased much recently

COVID-19 case counts outside of Metro Vancouver have been level since July

70-year-old punched in the head in dispute over disability parking space in Nanaimo

Senior’s turban knocked off in incident at mall parking lot

Most Read