LCLB says Boonstock decision is final

There will be no reversal on the decision to deny a liquor license for Boonstock.

The Liquor Control and Licence Board has announced that last week's decision to deny Boonstock a liquor licence is final.

BC’s Liquor Control and Licensing Board says there will be no reversal on the decision to deny a liquor license for the Boonstock Music and Arts Festival.

“This decision is final and is not something we will review on appeal, particularly since there is such a limited time left before the festival is set to begin,” wrote Ray Tetzel, deputy general manager, compliance and enforcement division for the LCLB, in a press release.

Tetzel also reiterated that the LCLB tried to work with the Boonstock festival, but there were still outstanding issues.

“The Liquor Control and Licensing Branch works hard to help each festival in B.C. – major or minor – have a successful liquor application while ensuring they still have the resources in place to protect the safety of festival goers,” wrote Tetzel. “In the case of Boonstock, our concerns about a host of issues, including the lack of safety and security planning, is why we have made the decision to not approve their application.”

According to Tetzel, by Friday, Boonstock organizers had still not provided proof they had signed agreements for site security, emergency health services (ambulances), waste management, potable water, tents or firefighting.

“The specifics of these concerns have been communicated to organizers as well,” wrote Tetzel, adding that with a reported 8,000 people having purchased tickets, this is much more than a liquor issue.

“Our understanding is that other public safety agencies are also taking precautions to prepare for any potential security or safety issues during the three-day festival. RCMP are well aware and supportive of our decision to reject the liquor application.”

Tetzel said LCLB inspectors have had numerous meetings with Boonstock organizers over the last number of months and have communicated their concerns on multiple occasions.

“We were hopeful that the advice we provided to organizers during these meetings would have encouraged them to take action earlier to satisfy these concerns, not only for the sake of receiving a liquor licence, but also in order to provide a safe experience for those who plan on attending,” said Tetzel. “Unfortunately this has not happened and that is why we have rejected Boonstock’s liquor application.”

Boonstock festival director Barb Haynes has not responded to a request for comment.

 

 

Just Posted

Fun and fundraising in Coalmont

Village works for its own firehall

Moms of those killed by illicit opioids take to B.C. Legislature in call for action

Moms Stop the Harm, a nationwide network of families who have lost loved ones to overdoses rally

Local athletes prepare for BC Summer Games

Twenty-one local young athletes will head to the BC Summer Games next month

Two women injured in off road vehicle crash

One victim thrown down cliff

VIDEO: Canadian toddler caught practising hockey skills in crib

Eli Graveline is getting praise from far and wide as the internet freaks out of cute throwback video

Mudslide 15 km north of Lillooet reduces highway 99 to one lane

Commercial truck legal load reduced by half between Fountain Valley Road and Pavilion-Clinton Road

Man shot dead in Surrey ID’d as hockey coach and father of two

Paul Bennett was ‘a champion for the sport,’ team manager says

Canadian Syrian children’s choir not to attend festival over fears about U.S. travel

Many kids are recent immigrants from countries covered by Trump travel ban

B.C. teacher ends Jeopardy! winning streak, taking home US$69,000

Ali Hasan, from New Westminster, has been gaining fans as a “one-man invasion,” says Alex Trebek

Jett Woo highlights 5 Canucks choices on Day 2 of NHL entry draft

WHL star out of Moose Jaw tabbed in Round 2

Cozy Bay to close

Summerland seafood restaurant’s lease will not be renewed

In a matter of hours, women in Saudi Arabia will be allowed to drive

Change was announced as a royal decree in 2017 by Crown Prince Mohammen bin Salman

Most Read