Council will decide Aug. 4 if the Glenview Park subdivision proposal will go to referendum. Photo Andrea DeMeer

Glenview Park’s fate may go to referendum

There is no decision yet on a controversial proposal to remove Glenview Park on Princeton’s third bench, and replace it with a subdivision.

At a meeting last week, town council voted to direct staff to prepare a report, and make recommendations, on a possible referendum to settle the matter.

That news was a disappointment to the women who led a protest to save the park, during the Alternative Approval Process, (AAP) initiated by the municipality.

“The public has already voted on the issue once,” said Sharron Basanti who helped form the Supporters of Princeton Parks group.

In June the town announced it would seek permission, through the AAP, to remove the park designation from an acre of land in the mine subdivision.

The town owns the property, and hoped to subdivide it into eight lots, including one lot for parkland, with the rest dedicated to mid-priced housing.

Related: Princeton town hall promises park space in proposed Glenview subdivision

In order to stall the plan, Supporters of Princeton Parks needed to get 10 per cent of the electorate, or 228 people, to sign and submit a form to town hall.

The deadline was July 13, and a total of 242 eligible forms were submitted, equally 10.6 per cent of voters.

Basanti said she and others were initially “ecstatic” with the results, and hopeful that “the park was saved,” as Mayor Spencer Coyne had stated he had no appetite for a referendum.

Related: Women stage protest outside town hall to preserve Glenview Park

However, at the July 20 meeting, councillor Randy McLean said the process of determining the park’s fate should be followed through.

“In my mind, [the AAP] was to be able to determine if we needed to go to referendum or not,” said McLean.

“Whether I am in favor of this development or not, the point to me is that you give the community a chance to speak on it…We did get 10 per cent, but we still don’t have the other 90 per cent.”

McLean noted that the release of the AAP results coincided with the publication of a study that states Princeton faces a serious housing shortfall.

He also asked staff to investigate if there are other questions that could be added to a referendum ballot, to give council direction of different issues.

McLean’s motion for a new staff recommendation was seconded by councillor George Elliott, and unanimously passed.

A referendum would need to be held by Oct. 1, and would cost approximately, $5,000, according to CAO Lyle Thomas.

A decision on direction will be made at a special meeting of council, on Aug. 4.

“I’m disappointed in town council,” said Basanti, who added she feels the housing proposed for the green space does not match the town’s needs.

She said the cost of a referendum is excessive, and questioned the wisdom of holding such a vote under pandemic conditions.

She added Supporters of Princeton Parks will continue to engage the community, in hopes that council will put a referendum aside on Aug. 4.

To report a typo, email:
publisher@similkameenspotlight.com
.



andrea.demeer@similkameenspotlight.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

EDITORIAL: Improving highway safety

Highway 97 has seen plenty of collisions and accidents over the years

Forty-three properties near Dry Lake, along Highway 5A, under evacuation alert

Wildfire has been burning out of control north of Princeton for two days

Sternwheelers once plied Okanagan Lake

Vessels once transported passengers and goods along the Okanagan Valley

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

VIDEO: Wildfire erupts north of Sicamous above Shuswap Lake

Observers suspect fireworks sparked blaze, Wildfire BC states cause still unknown

Canadians can travel to Hawaii in September; no quarantine with negative COVID test

Travellers will be required to pay for their own tests prior to arriving

Kelowna house and hip hop artist grows in popularity with new single

Edge’s ‘Vice City Vibes’ is available on all streaming platforms now

Alberta to require masks at schools this fall, but still no mandate in B.C.

B.C. students are also set to return to classrooms in September

Anonymous letters tell Vancouver Island family their kids are too loud

Letter said the noise of kids playing in Parksville backyard is ‘unbearable’

Police watchdog investigates Kamloops RCMP after stabbing death

The IIO is investigating the police’s lack of success in locating the man charged in stabbing

Wildfire near Merritt creates smoke for drivers on Coquihalla

Coldwater River fire was estimated at seven hectares Aug. 3 and classified as out of control

Most Read