By early May, Twin Lakes resident Craig Hunter and his family had filled 2,500 sandbags to protect their property. Over $6.7 million has been spent on flood mitigation in the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen. File photo

Flooding costs continue to rise

Over $6.7 million has been spent on flood mitigation in the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen

As of day 77 (June 7) of this year’s flooding event in the Okanagan and Similkameen more than $6.7 million has been spent and the cost is expected to continue to climb.

Paul Edmonds, the emergency management program co-ordinator for the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen, said although water is receding there is still a risk. He explained the majority of the costs associated with flood mitigation will be covered by the province.

“So, the message at the moment to the public is still to be prepared, obviously we are receiving lots of calls from people who have removed sandbags to please come and remove our sandbags. We are still at risk of a rainfall event. It’s the possibility of rain, obviously, not today or the near future, but the next week or so, two weeks or three weeks,” he said in response to a question about removing sandbags.

Related: Okanagan-Similkameen freshet looms large: district

Once a state of local emergency is cancelled in areas, Edmonds said a designated place for sandbags to be dropped will be set up in each community. The RDOS has received approval from the province for funding to do the cleanup of sandbags and other debris at strategic community locations, not at every home.

Edmonds said communication will come out when ready.

As of Thursday, there were seven evacuation orders still active throughout the RDOS affecting 32 different properties including in Osoyoos and rural Oliver. About 157 properties continue to be on evacuation alert.

Edmonds noted extensive work had been done at Twin Lakes to save homes around the lake. The lake at last measure was 26 feet in height, about nine feet above seasonal normal.

Edmonds was not able to provide the cost of the project so far but said more work was expected. At least two pumps were brought and hundreds of tonnes of material as well as thousands of hours of contract work done by both the military and B.C. Wildfire Service.

He noted in his presentation that it’s unknown how much of the material used to raise the height of the roadway, which created a dike to hold back the water, will be left behind. As the dike was built as an emergency defence there were some construction issues that allowed water underneath, prompting the evacuation order on some homes around the lake.

The decision of how much material will stay will be made by the province’s Ministry of Forests, Land, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.

“FLNROD is considering that they don’t want dikes at all in the area because of the potential of breaching,” he said.

Related: Twin Lakes residents brace for massive flooding

Just Posted

Moms of those killed by illicit opioids take to B.C. Legislature in call for action

Moms Stop the Harm, a nationwide network of families who have lost loved ones to overdoses rally

Local athletes prepare for BC Summer Games

Twenty-one local young athletes will head to the BC Summer Games next month

Two women injured in off road vehicle crash

One victim thrown down cliff

Youth addiction centre near Keremeos celebrates one year

Ashnola at the Crossing has been open just over a year

VIDEO: Canadian toddler caught practising hockey skills in crib

Eli Graveline is getting praise from far and wide as the internet freaks out of cute throwback video

B.C. teacher ends Jeopardy! winning streak, taking home US$69,000

Ali Hasan, from New Westminster, has been gaining fans as a “one-man invasion,” says Alex Trebek

Jett Woo highlights 5 Canucks choices on Day 2 of NHL entry draft

WHL star out of Moose Jaw tabbed in Round 2

Cozy Bay to close

Summerland seafood restaurant’s lease will not be renewed

In a matter of hours, women in Saudi Arabia will be allowed to drive

Change was announced as a royal decree in 2017 by Crown Prince Mohammen bin Salman

Feds announce measures to protect endangered whale species

Canada’s Whale Initiative is part of the federal government’s $1.5 billion Ocean Protection Plan

Reported stabbing in Lake Country

Police are believed to be investigating after a reported stabbing at a house party Friday night

COC session vote approves Calgary as potential host for 2026 Olympics

Scott Hutcheson, chair of Calgary’s Olympic bid corporation — called vote a positive step forward

B.C. man wins job he was denied after saying he had depression

Transport Canada has been order to give Chris Hughes a high-level job and nearly $500,000

Most Read