Local residents are reporting cougar sightings over the past two days in the areas of Allison Flats, the Foot Bridge in Allison Flats and at the Brown Bridge .
Please take extra care if you are traveling throughout any of these areas.
As a reminder;
The Ministry of Environment provides the following safety precautions:
• Never approach a cougar. Although cougars will normally avoid confrontation, all cougars are unpredictable. Cougars feeding on a kill may be dangerous.
• Always give a cougar an avenue of escape.
• Stay calm. Talk to the cougar in a confident voice.
• Pick all children up off the ground immediately. Children frighten easily and their rapid movements may provoke an attack.
• Do not run. Try to back away from the cougar slowly. Sudden movement or flight may trigger an instinctive attack.
• Do not turn your back on the cougar. Face the cougar and remain upright.
• Do all you can to enlarge your image. Don’t crouch down or try to hide. Pick up sticks or branches and wave them about.
If you sight a cougar, you are encouraged to phone the Conservation Officer services of the Ministry of Environment toll free at 1-877-952-7277.