Just after 10 a.m.

Just after 10 a.m.

Accident on Bridge Street Princeton

A logging truck accident has slowed traffic temporarily in and around Bridge Street, Hwy 5A and entering town off Hwy 3.

Just minutes after 10 a.m., Thursday, July 11, a logging truck accident closed the road entering Bridge Street from Hwy 3 and the entrance onto Hwy 5A.

Upon entering Bridge street from Hwy 3, the reach compensator for the truck and trailer of the logging truck driven by local logger Fred Krenn broke, causing the trailer to hit a white pick up truck, the large tree and lamp post in front of the Princeton Petro Canada station.

Dawn Kastor, owner of Princeton Loonie Bin & Bakery had just finished her delivery to the Petro Canada and had gotten into her truck. She saw the logging truck and then the trailer coming at her. “I tried to back up and then just jumped out,” said Kastor, visibly shaken from the incident.

Although the trailer took out the lamp post and tree, dragging them further down the street, Krenn was able to keep the full load of logs on and bring the truck to a stop in front of the former Santo’s Restaurant on the corner of Bridge and Hwy 5A.

In the meantime, Kastor had to jump back into her truck to stop it from travelling into traffic.

Eyewitness to the accident, Trish Lind said that, “he got that truck stopped as fast as he could. Thank God nobody got hurt.”

“Sure scared the hell out of me,” said driver, Fred Krenn, who also was grateful that no one was injured.

Princeton RCMP, BC Ambulance Service and Princeton Volunteer Fire Department attended the scene. FortisBC was also called in to shut down the power to the former lamp post.

The fire department quickly used the fire trucks to cordon off the area and to assist controlling traffic.

Noreen Stadler, manager of the Petro Canada station said she was impressed with the very quick response time for all of the emergency services.

Extra flagging service was brought in to direct traffic during clean up and removal of the logging truck.

The scene was cleaned up and traffic restored to normal by 2 p.m.