Jack, Brent Ross’ seven-year-old chocolate lab, died after asphyxiating on a ball. (Contributed)

Jack, Brent Ross’ seven-year-old chocolate lab, died after asphyxiating on a ball. (Contributed)

Salmon Arm man warns others after dog dies from choking on a ball

Brent Ross grieving the sudden loss of Jack, a healthy, seven-year-old chocolate lab

Brent Ross’ voice wavers as he talks about his last moments with his dog Jack.

The Salmon Arm’ man’s seven-year-old healthy chocolate lab died on Sunday, Nov. 29, after asphyxiating on a ball lodged in his throat.

During an interview the following Tuesday, Ross, still heartbroken, said he’s been trying to stay focused on all the good times he and Jack got to share.

“I’ve had dogs all my life,” said Ross. “I’m 56 years old and I’ve always had my labs and never had an issue. It just goes to show how freak of an accident this was and how painful it can be.”

On Sunday, Ross drove Jack to the dog park in South Canoe, where they met a friend and fellow dog owner. While playing fetch with their dogs, Ross remembered he’d lost a ball there during a previous visit. Following a successful search, the dogs now had three balls to play with. Ross explained how at one point his friend’s pup dropped the third ball and Jack, who already had two balls in his mouth, was quick to scoop it up.

Then the ball farthest back in Jack’s mouth became lodged in his throat.

“I had him on the ground, I had my hand in his mouth and I was trying to dislodge this ball from his throat,” said Ross. “I had my fingers in behind the ball and tried to rub it up through the other side, trying to get him to throw it up. It wouldn’t come up. I was hoping he might ingest it – at least it would save his life and we could get it surgically removed later.”

Ross said it was at this point he started to recognize he might be fighting a losing battle.

“I quickly loaded up the dogs in my truck – Jack was lying in the field and thought I was leaving him,” said Ross. “I went back and said, ‘Jack, I’m not leaving you man.’ He made his way to the truck and then I was screaming down 10th to get to the vet.”

Read more: Salmon Arm couple suspect dog’s death due to poisonous plant

Read more: Dog owner fined $1,000 after dog chases bear in Mt. Revelstoke National Park

Because it was Sunday and his calls to the vet only got him a machine, Ross said he called his wife to say he’d pick her up on the way, hoping that her hands might be small enough to remove the ball.

“She jumped in and tried but to no avail,” said Ross. Jack died while en route to the vet.

After Jack’s death, “through beers and tears,” Ross said he shared a post on his Facebook page explaining what happened as a cautionary tale to others.

“I threw all my balls away and… I just recommended to my friends that I wish that you think twice when doing this with your dog,” said Ross, who has since taken time to do some research about dog toys and choking hazards. One thing he found was when selecting a ball for play, its circumference should be larger than the dog’s airway.

“The other thing I learned and didn’t know… apparently there’s a Heimlich maneuver for dogs,” said Ross. “I haven’t done a lot of research for it, but you get in behind their rib cage and pull up hard and see if it will dislodge the ball or bone or whatever these dogs ingest.”

Ross hopes his story will reach other dog owners and help to prevent a similar tragic occurrence.

“We lost him and it breaks my heart – I’ve got two dogs at home that are wondering where their pal is…,” said Ross. “It was an experience I don’t wish on anybody and it’s probably more commonplace than people know.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

DogsSalmon Arm

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Brent Ross poses with his dog Jack who died over the weekend after asphyxiating on a ball. Ross hopes his experience serves as a cautionary tale to other dog owners. (Contributed)

Brent Ross poses with his dog Jack who died over the weekend after asphyxiating on a ball. Ross hopes his experience serves as a cautionary tale to other dog owners. (Contributed)

Just Posted

Calls for potential overdoses in B.C. spiked in 2020, especially in the Okanagan - Shuswap. Pictured above is a BCEHS re-enactment of paramedics attending an overdose. (BCHES)
Overdose calls spike in 2020 across the Okanagan – Shuswap

Stats show every major community in Okanagan - Shuswap increased in calls for potential overdoses

(Stock photo)
EDITORIAL: COVID-19 restrictions continue to affect us all

Canada has recorded more than 700,000 confirmed cases of pandemic

Amanda Parsons, a registered nurse on staff at the Northwood Care facility, administers a dose of the Moderna vaccine to Ann Hicks, 77, in Halifax on Monday, Jan. 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Andrew Vaughan-Pool
61 new COVID-19 cases, two more deaths in Interior Health

Twenty-nine people are in hospital, seven of whom are in intensive care

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic in Toronto on Thursday, January 7, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
253 new COVID-19 cases, 4 more deaths in Interior Health over the weekend

More than 1,000 cases in the region remain active

An Abbotsford man was killed in a motor vehicle accident on Highway 3 on Monday, Jan. 18. (Black Press file photo)
Abbotsford man killed in Highway 3 single vehicle crash near Hedley

Fatality was discovered by passing tow truck driver

Charlotte is one of the resident pigs at Star's Piggly Wiggly's Sanctuary near Kelowna. (Twila Amato - Black Press Media)
Kelowna-area pig sanctuary needs a new home

Star’s Piggly Wiggly’s Sanctuary is looking for properties in Vernon, Coldstream, and Enderby

Southern resident killer whales in B.C. waters. Research shows the population’s females are more negatively influenced by vessel traffic than males. (Photo supplied by Ocean Wise Conservation Association)
Female orcas less likely to feed in presence of vessel traffic: study

Research the southern resident population raises concerns over reproduction capacity

(Black Press Media files)
Transport Canada not budging on enclosed deck rules, despite calls from BC Ferries union

There have been at least 23 cases of the U.K. variant detected in Canada, four of which are in B.C.

The Elk Valley Hospital is adapting to meet the needs of patients in the Elk Valley.
One in five tests in Fernie area coming back positive: doctor

Dr Ron Clark of Elk Valley Hospital said one in five tests was returning positive for COVID-19

Throughout December, RCMP conducted CounterAttack road checks as police worked to keep roads free of impaired drivers. (BLACK PRESS file photo)
From the “You can’t make this stuff up” file – stories from the BC CounterAttack campaign

Amusing, yes, but a reminder impaired driving affects ability to drive and to make good decisions

(Thesendboys/Instagram)
Video of man doing backflip off Vancouver bridge draws police condemnation

Group says in Instagram story that they ‘don’t do it for the clout’

Inspection of bridge crossing on a B.C. forest service road. (B.C. Forest Practices Board)
B.C. falling behind in maintenance of forest service roads

Auditor finds nearly half of bridges overdue for repair

A cow moose wanders around the Silver Star Elementary School neighbourhood Tuesday, Jan. 19. (Contributed)
Public provoking blamed for moose chasing Okanagan residents

‘The problem is people are bugging it’ conservation officer

(Black Press Media files)
Woman steals bottles of wine after brandishing stun baton in New Westminster

Police say the female suspect was wearing a beige trench coat with fur lining

Most Read