A fundraising campaign is raising money to help the couple whose Hedley restaurant was destroyed by fire.
Early in the morning of Oct. 23, fire broke out at the Hitching Post Restaurant in Hedley.
William Carmichael and Trisha Mills, the restaurateurs, were trapped in the building and had to jump six metres to safety. They were injured as a result.
Viktorya Bratt, a friend of the couple, said Carmichael and Mills had moved to Hedley from Kamloops to operate the restaurant.
“Our community is extremely impacted by this huge loss, the centrepiece of our town,” said Viktorya Bratt, a friend of the couple. “William and Trisha didn’t just lose everything. This was their future, a dream.”
Bratt said as a result of having to jump from the building engulfed in flames, the couple shattered many bones and will have long roads to recovery. To help them, Bratt has set up a campaign through gofundme.com.
The fundraising goal is $20,000.
“They both have long roads to recovery, many expenses ahead such as rehabilitation, wheelchairs and everyday living,” Bratt said in the campaign description. “We as a community are behind them but they’ll need financial support as well.”
The campaign was set up on Thursday morning and within hours it had raised $850.
The campaign can be found online at gofundme.com/the-hitching-post-fire.
To report a typo, email: