- Our Town
Two Princeton residents dead from fentanyl
Two Princeton residents are dead from fentanyl and police are warning recreational drug users to practice extreme caution.
A 59-year-old woman, a longtime resident, died March 9.
“She bought what she thought was heroin,” said Sergeant Barry Kennedy. “She called 911 because she wasn’t feeling good and later succumbed to her medical condition.”
An autopsy revealed no heroin in the woman’s system – only fentanyl and tramadol.
It is not yet known if the drugs were purchased locally.
“She would not say where she got it from prior to her death,” said Kennedy. “We are not sure if she got it in another town and brought it back here or whether she got it locally…Obviously we are working on that.”
The second fatality occurred March 13. A 36-year-old male, who moved to town about six weeks ago, was found unconscious in a local apartment building. He died of an overdose of methamphetamine and fentanyl, said Kennedy.
“We are not sure of the source there either,” said Kennedy.
Police have not released the names of either of the victims.
Kennedy said recreational drug users are placing themselves at serious risk.
“Fentanyl can be cut with any drug. It does not have to be specific to hard drugs it could be put into soft drugs as well, like marijuana, and it’s extremely toxic."
FOR MORE ON THIS STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S SPOTLIGHT AVAILABLE ON STANDS WEDNESDAY.